Movement to Work, a collaboration of UK employers that aims to tackle youth unemployment
HPMA London Academy HR Competency Framework
The London HPMA Academy’s HR competency framework is a simple, easy-to-use tool which sets out the core competencies that are expected of all HR professionals working in the NHS and the wider UK healthcare sector.
It consists of six competencies with examples of each competency at four levels. It is currently available as a ‘beta version’ and is deliberately generic so it can be tailored by any member organisation and used by all HR professionals and individual organisations. For example, you may wish to refine the examples given to suit your particular organisation or role.
To download a copy of the HR competency framework click here. If you would like a Word version of the framework, please contact email@example.com
We passionately believe that healthcare is about people; whether they be staff, patients or family and friends. The HR profession has a unique role to play in ensuring that the people working in healthcare organisations are able and encouraged to perform well, thereby providing the best possible care to patients.
MA students at the University of Greenwich recently carried out a survey to find out about how the framework is being used by HR and OD professionals in the NHS. They found that there is significant enthusiasm for the competency framework within trusts. Of those respondents who were familiar with the framework, the majority of respondants stated that they felt the competencies were relevant in several or most aspects to their role. The majority stated that the framework is useful for their professional development, and that they would be likely to refer to the competencies when selecting activities related to their professional development.
Usine the HR Competency Framework
HR & OD teams are using the competency framework and developing new tools. We'd like to enable organisations to share how they have used the framework on this webpage. Any resources shared here are offered in the spirit of 'not reinventing the wheel' and may still be work in progress. They can be used and adapted to suit your particular purpose and context.
If you or your team are looking to develop to levels 3 or 4 of the competency framework, click here to get a copy of a simple tool to support you and your team plan your development. Thank you to Amanda Price, Associate Director of Education, Training and Development at Guy's & St Thomas' NHS Foundation Trust for sharing this.
If you have any tools you'd be willing to share, please contact firstname.lastname@example.org.
HR Competency Toolkit
We commissioned students from the MA in Human Resource Management at the University of Greenwich to review the toolkit and provided some tools and guidance on how the competency framework can be used in trusts.
They developed a toolkit for trusts to use the competency framework throughout the employee lifecycle. Many of the tools require further development dependent on the needs of the trust.
Please click on the following elements below to download the content for the toolkit.
Competency Based Recruitment toolkit for all HR professionals involved with recruitment and interviewing comprising:
- Advice on competency based job descriptions (sample statements for each competency at different levels) CLICK HERE
- Open ended competency based interview questions (sample questions for each competency at different levels) CLICK HERE
- Guidance on what constitutes as a quality response from the candidate in order to guide ratings - using the STAR method CLICK HERE
- Use of Probing questions CLICK HERE
- Interviewer training CLICK HERE
- HPMA interactive workshop – this is an outline that needs further development CLICK HERE
- Trust e-learning induction module – this is an outline that needs further development CLICK HERE
- Checklist for practitioner CLICK HERE
- Competency based CPD record and plan template – based on the CIPD’s CPD record and plan template CLICK HERE
- Competency audit to be integrated into 1-1 process – three key questions which can be incorporated into your regular 1-to-1 discussions. CLICK HERE
- Competency self-assessment tool – see proposal for simple creation of a self assessment to development familiarity with the competencies. CLICK HERE
Thank you very much to Manista Cooshna, Bianca Dorling, Charlotte Dymock and Chinwe Inyamah for their great work in compiling these resources on behalf of HPMA London.
We welcome feedback on these resources, please contact email@example.com
|Appendix 4a P1.doc||28.5 KB|
|Appendix 4a P2.doc||34 KB|
|Appendix 4ax P3.doc||28 KB|
|Appendix 4ax P4.doc||56.5 KB|
|Appendix 4ax P5.doc||28.5 KB|
|Appendix 4bx P1.doc||34.5 KB|
|Appendix 4bx P2.doc||24 KB|
|Appendix 4bx P3.doc||29 KB|
|Appendix 4cx P1.doc||31.5 KB|
|Appendix 4cx P2.doc||22.5 KB|
|Appendix 4cx P3.doc||72 KB|
|London HPMA Academy 2015 HR Competency Framework v0 3.pdf||521 KB|
|GSTT competencies and link to development opportunities.xls||35 KB|